Proposed NAMHO logo

 

Registered charity No. 297301    

Pages marked with * require logging in

Carrock - Tungsten Mine

NAMHO MEMBER DETAILS

back to members' introduction   |  previous entry  |  next entry  | view extra information

club logo   Friends of the St Aidan's BE1150 Walking Dragline
Contact: Formerly Dr. I.J. Brown Year formed: 1997
Email:   Membership: 80
Website: http://www.walkingdragline.org  
Facebook: Not supplied  
Activities:
  Arch      FldM      ARes      Libr      Publ      Lect   
Area of interest: To assist in preserving the walking dragline at St. Aidans former opencast site, near Leeds. To arrange visits to other sites with draglines or historical associations.
Main geographical areas:
 YH 
Classes of membership: Individual £5. Family £6. (One newsletter only)
Publications: Newsletter - 4 issues a year, plus occasional Specials.
Archive collection: Small collection relating to opencast coalmining only.
Artefact collection: None at present
Owned or leased site 
or access controlled:
By appointment and on Open Days (details on internet site). Although it is only open on a limited number of days per year the dragline is visible to the public at any time at grid ref SE 399 287, satnav LS26 8AL.
Current projects: To conserve the 1200 tonne BEl150 Walking Dragline which is over 60 years old and develop a visitors centre.
Publicity: Historical Fact Sheet available.
Services: Talks and guided tours.

 
Last updated: 30/10/2017
The BE1150 is one of the few remaining examples of a large (greater than 1000 tons) Walking Dragline in western Europe. The first large dragline to be imported into the country from the USA was a BE (Bucyrus Erie) 1150B in 1948. It operated on an opencast coal site in Northumberland. Others were to follow, not just for coal sites, but at ironstone mines in the Northamptonshire/ Rutland areas. The St. Aidans BE1150 is not at present generally open to the public, but can be viewed from the road at Astley, between Swillington and Allerton Bywater to the south-east of Leeds, West Yorkshire at NG ref. SE 399 287. Visits can be arranged by contacting the Friends by writing to the above address.

The photograph (by Ivor Brown) on the left shows the BE1150, known as &£39;Oddball&£39; because of its unusual electric equipment, being prepared for its final walk in January 1999.

Back to members' introduction  |  Previous entry  |  Next entry

Click Acrobat Reader to download Acrobat Reader (free) to read PDF files:

Home  |  About us  |  Research  |  Bibliography  |  Library  |  News  |  Newsletters  |  Meetings  |  Conferences  |  Members  |  Links  |  Guidelines  |  Contacts  |  Site map


Copyright © NAMHO 2017 - revised 17/10/2017
Website originally developed by Resources Computing International Ltd; revised and enhanced by Nigel Dibben

Printed on: 14/12/2017