Image: NAMHO logo


Registered charity No. 297301    

Pages marked with * require logging in

Picture of Derbyshire - Ball Eye Mine


back to members' introduction   |  previous entry  |  next entry  | view extra information

    Friends of Williamson's Tunnels
Contact: Secretary Year formed: 1996
Address: 15-17, Chatham Place Liverpool Merseyside L7 3HD
Email: info [at]  Membership: 1100
Facebook: Not supplied  
  Undx      Lect   
Area of interest: Location and excavation of the Williamson's Tunnel, Liverpool
Main geographical areas:
Classes of membership: Individual £5. Concession £3.50. Family £7.50. Overseas £10.00
Publications: Members' newsletter The Mole, published twice a year.
Archive collection: By enquiry to the society
Artefact collection: By enquiry to the society
Sites owned, leased,
licensed or access controlled:
Enquiries to the society
Current projects: Ongoing projects to excavate two major sections of the Williamson Tunnels network
Publicity: Website plus information booklets, video and DVD.
Services: Illustrated talks, tours of the tunnels for members and special interest groups.
The Williamson Tunnels are a labyrinth of tunnels and underground caverns under the Edge Hill district of Liverpool in north-west England. They were built in the first few decades of the l800s under the control of a retired tobacco merchant called Joseph Williamson. The purpose of their construction was to give jobs to unemployed men. Although some of the tunnels have been lost over the years, a lot of them still exist today, under what is now a residential area. The tunnels are cut in Triassic sandstone. The photograph shows 'Friends' digging out one of the vaulted tunnels.

Last updated: 21/02/2022

Back to members' introduction  |  Previous entry  |  Next entry